Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning Engineer Associate
Why choose between doing meaningful work and having a fulfilling life? At MITRE, you can have both. That’s because MITRE people are committed to tackling our nation’s toughest challenges—and we’re committed to the long-term well-being of our employees. MITRE is different from most technology companies. We are a not-for-profit corporation chartered to work for the public interest, with no commercial conflicts to influence what we do. The R&D centers we operate for the government create lasting impact in fields as diverse as cybersecurity, healthcare, aviation, defense, and enterprise transformation. We’re making a difference every day—working for a safer, healthier, and more secure nation and world. Our workplace reflects our values. We offer competitive benefits, exceptional professional development opportunities, and a culture of innovation that embraces diversity, inclusion, flexibility, collaboration, and career growth. If this sounds like the choice you want to make, then choose MITRE—and make a difference with us.
The DoD Health Innovation & Technology Department (P842) is seeking an early career, motivated, creative Artificial Intelligence (AI)/ Machine Learning (ML) Engineer for MITRE’s Mclean, VA site to apply cutting edge tools and techniques to challenging problems facing the US government. Our department works to solve problems in the public interest, in partnership with agencies within the DoD and Veteran Affairs. We also actively conduct independent research in areas of interest to our government partners.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have The Following Personal Attributes
- Independent thinker with intellectual curiosity in both technical and business domains
- Interest in opportunities to lead small teams
- Ability to work autonomously while accountable to work leader
- Growth mindset – ability to listen and respond to constructive feedback
- Work in close collaboration with government stakeholders as part of a multidisciplinary team
- Analyze structured and unstructured data sources to determine the key business questions and hypotheses that can be explored with the data sets
- Evaluate approaches and algorithms based on available data and research objectives
- Develop experimental prototypes to demonstrate concepts for Federal government sponsors
- Communicate approach and results to decision makers in a manner that enables them to act
- fully responsible for deliverables-including definition, completion, and technical quality, as well as assuring consistency across the responsibility span.
- Bachelors degree Computer Science or Computer Engineering or similar field
- B.S. degree (Computer Science or Computer Engineering or similar field) with a 3.0 GPA or higher
- Strong theoretical background in at least two learning techniques: supervised (e.g., SVMs, regression, decision trees), unsupervised (e.g., clustering, neural networks), or reinforcement
- Demonstrated experience applying supervised and unsupervised techniques to structured data
- Experience with at least one language for implementing AI/ML algorithms (e.g., Python, R)
- Basic SQL skills
- Strong writing and communication skills and ability to communicate results of research and analysis to a non-technical audience, particularly communicating why results matter
- Ability to visualize patterns in data and research results for a non-technical audience
- Familiar with data management best practices
- Familiar with DevOps patterns and practices
- Candidate must be able to obtain and maintain a DoD Secret clearance which will require US Citizenship.
- B.S. degree (Computer Science or Computer Engineering or similar field) and 2 years related experience, or M.S. degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Mathematics, or a related field
- Experience developing and deploying data-driven applications
- Experience with Docker and Kubernetes
- Capable of evaluating Differential Privacy algorithms and implementations, and capable of researching DP to develop new algorithms
- Theoretical background in natural language processing techniques (e.g., parsing, topic modeling, entity recognition, sentiment analysis)
- Experience with Hortonworks Data Platform tools
- Preference given to qualified candidates with current / active DoD clearance.
MITRE is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. MITRE recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender expression, sexual identity, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status.
Discover More AI Jobs:
- Address McLean, VA