Big Data Engineer
About the job
It takes powerful technology to connect our brands and partners with an audience of 1 billion. Nearly half of Verizon Media employees are building the code and platforms that help us achieve that. Whether you’re looking to write mobile app code, engineer the servers behind our massive ad tech stacks, or develop algorithms to help us process 4 trillion data points a day, what you do here will have a huge impact on our business—and the world. Want in? As Verizon’s media unit, our brands like Yahoo, TechCrunch and HuffPost help people stay informed and entertained, communicate and transact, while creating new ways for advertisers and partners to connect. With technologies like XR, AI, machine-learning, and 5G, we’re transforming media for tomorrow, too. We’re creators and coders, dreamers and doers creating what’s next in content, advertising and technology.
- MS in Computer Science or a related field (or BS with 2 years of relevant experience).
- A solid computer science foundation including programming languages, operating systems software engineering, and databases
- 1+ years of experience in Java / J2EE including object oriented design and design patterns,
- software architecture, multi-threading and debugging skills
- Able to produce test-driven, modular and efficient code in Java.
- Solid understanding of data structures and algorithms
- Good knowledge of SQL databases techniques
- Ability to demonstrate great engineering practices
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Experience with Amazon Web Services is a plus
- 1+ years of experience with big data technologies such as Hive, Hadoop, MapReduce, Spark, PIG etc.
- Familiarity with Unix/Linux environment highly recommended
- Experience with API design is a plus
- Experience with large distributed systems, fault-tolerant system design, concurrency and high performance software engineering preferred
- Experience with Agile product development methodology is a plus
- Experience with scripting programming languages such as Python is a plus
- B2B or advertising experience is a plus
Verizon Media is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category. Verizon Media is dedicated to providing an accessible environment for all candidates during the application process and for employees during their employment. If you need accessibility assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via the Accommodation Request Form ( https://www.verizonmedia.com/careers/contact-us.html ) or call 408-336-1409. Requests and calls received for non-disability related issues, such as following up on an application, will not receive a response.
At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion ( https://www.verizon.com/about/careers/work-culture ) page to learn more.
Currently work for Verizon Media? Please apply on our internal career site.
- Address Dulles, VA