Data Scientist 1
About the job
Fueled by a fundamental belief that having access to financial services creates opportunity, PayPal (NASDAQ: PYPL) is committed to democratizing financial services and empowering people and businesses to join and thrive in the global economy. Our open digital payments platform gives PayPal’s 286 million active account holders the confidence to connect and transact in new and powerful ways, whether they are online, on a mobile device, in an app, or in person. Through a combination of technological innovation and strategic partnerships, PayPal creates better ways to manage and move money, and offers choice and flexibility when sending payments, paying or getting paid. Available in more than 200 markets around the world, the PayPal platform, including Braintree, Venmo and Xoom enables consumers and merchants to receive money in more than 100 currencies, withdraw funds in 56 currencies and hold balances in their PayPal accounts in 25 currencies.
Job Description Summary:
Our Global Credit Risk team is looking for a Data Scientist with strong knowledge of data science and modeling methodologies to work on our next generation CECL/IFRS9-compliant loss forecasting models. Leveraging various credit loss modeling techniques, together with PayPal’s huge proprietary database, you will help articulate, predict, quantify, and communicate account-level credit risk which will drive PayPal’s credit-related loss reserves. You will be required to interact with a cross functional team, including finance, accounting, operations, technology, and risk. Having a strong sense of accountability coupled with a passion for delivering crisp data insights and the ability to tell stories through data are essential. Experience with IFRS9 and understanding of CECL loss forecasting models is a plus. Ideal candidates have a credit risk background and experience with complex big data environments and model development.
- Build and document CECL/IFRS9-compliant loss prediction models for global credit products leveraging internal performance data and various macroeconomic inputs.
- Successfully navigate model development process from model design and dataset construction, through validation to implementation.
- Meet with subject matter experts to identify key drivers of credit loss behavior.
- Communicate model methodologies and results to managers and stakeholders.
- Participate in monthly/quarterly reserve setting process with Finance and Accounting.
Functional Skills & Behaviors
- Understanding and Knowledge of credit loss modeling methodologies.
- Articulate, executive level presentation and communication skills.
- Be data-driven and outcome-focused.
- Must have good business judgment with demonstrated ability to think creatively and strategically.
- Takes personal ownership; Self-starter; Ability to drive projects with minimal guidance and focus on high impact work.
- Learns continuously; seeks out knowledge, ideas and feedback.
- Looks for opportunities to build skills, knowledge and expertise.
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in Mathematics, Statistics, Operations Research, Finance, Economics or related quantitative discipline; preferably an advanced degree.
- 3+ years of proven model development experience.
- Analytical and project management experience.
- Proven experience in credit loss model development at a financial institution
- SAS and SQL skills to be able to run data queries; experience using common data science tools like R, Python or SAS for model development.
- PowerPoint user, for management communications and broad organizational readouts.
- Experience with CECL and/or IFRS-9 is a plus.
We’re a purpose-driven company whose beliefs are the foundation for how we conduct business every day. We hold ourselves to our One Team Behaviors which demand that we hold the highest ethical standards, to empower an open and diverse workplace, and strive to treat everyone who is touched by our business with dignity and respect. Our employees challenge the status quo, ask questions, and find solutions. We want to break down barriers to financial empowerment. Join us as we change the way the world defines financial freedom.
PayPal provides equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, PayPal will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
Discover More AI Jobs:
- Address Wilmington, DE