About the job
Job # 552503
What You’ll Be Doing…
The WAIV team is a fast-paced AI/ML team, prototyping software as operational Beta Proof of Concepts. The role will primarily be focused on data science, but will often take on all the lifecycle functions of an AI/ML prototype, from working with SMEs that translate, medium-scale or small-scale data engineering, model training and testing, and installing the code into Verizon directional systems. Projects can be self-planned and executed, giving the structure and flexibility to innovate. As these projects are new inventions, the data science role will also be skilled at presenting and describing their works in written form. Publications are expected to be created with other team members in the form of internal blog posts, intellectual property, industry papers, conference presentations or collaborations with universities. This role will understand the cutting-edge concepts and capabilities of AI/ML and utilize them to create innovative enhancements to engineering tools not previously envisioned. You will be a strong communicator to win over Verizon’s brightest SMEs to new thinking and also process-minded to guide their assigned projects to completion.
- Envision new network (engineering) AI/ML projects and present well-formed ideas to the team.
- Merge ideation, knowledge of AI/ML model uses, insights from SMEs/translators and constraints to propose ML projects that are meaningful and actionable.
- Provide timelines, milestones, project plans and types of AI/ML models to be attempted for new prototype projects. Adapt and communicate needed changes as datasets, labels or models may not function as expected.
- Partner with team and non-team data scientists to teach complex concepts, assess project feasibility, select input features and validate project output. Envision and test for corner cases.
- Utilize large amounts of GPU effectively to train and attempt multiple models, documenting progress.
- Effectively utilize vGrid and the NVIDIA DGX.
- Guide AI/ML projects with moderate autonomy so that they will be accepted by the business and SMEs who will use them.
- Pull sample data sets from NS tools and vGRID to attempt prototypes on new topics.
- Learn the wireless domain (5G/LTE, xLPT datasets, RF Planning, Orchestration, etc) and toolsets to better communicate and understand the needs of engineers for AI/ML automation.
- Publish blogs, create documentation, perform presentations, submit intellectual property write-ups and lead efforts for external publications.
- Present to SME groups such as the System Performance Core Team, the Assurance Core Team or Service Performance to explain, promote and request feedback on AI/ML project ideation and ongoing efforts.
- Support SMEs from WAIV when they present your work to engineers.
- Assist in debugging and handover needs during the transition of your projects to directional systems, typically those from Network Systems (NS).
You’ll Need To Have
What we’re looking for…
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
- Willing to travel a maximum of 25%.
Even Better If You Have
- Masters/PhD in Statistics, Math, Economics, Engineering, Computer Science, Business Analytics, Data Science, or a related field.
- Data Engineering, vGrid, ETL or Spark experience.
- Skilled in Python, Linux Shell, Sci Kit Learn, and standard AI/ML models.
- Proven ability to create, organize, present and write ideas.
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills.
- Experience in wireless networking.
- Experience in a variety of AI/ML applications such as clustering, time-series forecasting, object detection, NLP or classification.
- Experience with two or more trained models moved to production or completed in a research environment.
- Attached examples of filing IP, Published Papers or Conference Presentation titles or awards to your resume.
When you join Verizon
Verizon is a leading provider of technology, communications, information and entertainment products, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our ambition and united in our shared purpose to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
Diversity and Inclusion at Verizon
At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer – and celebrate our employees’ differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. Different makes us better.
Job Family: TEC
Business Unit: STDBU
- Address Irving, TX