GIA has embarked on an exciting digital transformation journey that incorporates the use of Artificial Intelligence & Machine Learning principals that will modernize the way grading, research, and gemological information is consumed within the Institute and across the gem & jewelry industry.
Join us and help drive that journey!
The Data Scientist (AI/ML) is tasked with developing & supporting AI/ML based solutions that solve complex business problems. As a member of the data science team, the candidate will collaborate with laboratory management and staff, product owners, research and development teams to define and deliver innovative AI solutions that achieve the Institute’s operational and business goals.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work in multi-disciplinary and cross-functional teams to translate business requirements into AI/ML goals and solution architecture
- Maintain and support existing models in production. Add more skills and features to existing models, define training and validation sets; code automated tests
- Rapidly iterate AI/ML models and results to refine and validate approach for accuracy and repeatability
TECHNICAL COMPETENCIES (Knowledge, Skills & Abilities)
- Hands on python coding experience with a solid understanding of scientific libraries like numpy, scipy, pandas, opencv, skimage, and scikit-learn
- Understanding of machine learning techniques and algorithms, such as CNN, k-NN, Naive Bayes, SVM, etc.
- Demonstrated expertise with deep learning frameworks, such as TensorFlow, PyTorch, Caffé, Keras, etc.
- Familiarity using Computer Vision – Neural Networks to solve problems in image or video analysis. Image/video processing (morphology) knowhow
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Graduate degree in Computer Science, Data Science, Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, or related technical field
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in Data Science, Machine Learning/AI engineering
- Experience with source code management systems like GitHub (GIT)
ABOUT GEMOLOGICAL INSTITUTE OF AMERICA (GIA)
Established in 1931, GIA is the world’s foremost authority on diamonds, colored stones, and pearls. GIA exists to protect all purchasers of gemstones, by providing the education, laboratory services, research, and instruments needed to accurately and objectively determine gemstone quality. As creator of the 4Cs and the GIA International Diamond Grading System™, the Institute sets and maintains the standard for grading and identification practices used worldwide. Its global headquarters are based in Carlsbad, California.
- Address 50 W 47th St 8th floor, New York, NY
- Experience 5-10 Years