Data Scientist – Network Optimization (Remote)
We’re making things better for pets, people and the planet through our Think Adoption First philosophy, the Petco Foundation and other important initiatives that focus on putting animals first, educating pet parents and reducing our carbon footprint. The journey starts with knowledgeable, passionately engaged associates who are proud to recommend Petco as a place to work, who believe in our Vision and who are committed to delivering a superior customer experience.
From our retail stores and our network of Distribution Centers to our Corporate offices, you’ll work with others who share your values and commitment. We seek individuals who are passionate about animal welfare, have great people skills and are driven to grow and advance in their careers with us. Our ongoing growth is creating exceptional opportunities for professional development and personal enrichment throughout our organization.
The Data Scientist – Network Optimization is a remote position anywhere within the U.S. and will be a part of our Logistics department. Will be responsible for leveraging strategic insights, advanced analytics, forecasting, optimization and statistical methods to design optimized supply chain, providing insights into improving supply chain management performance, and improve end-to-end supply chain visibility in order to maximize financial performance and deliver an exceptional customer experience.
Within the team, you combine advanced analytical skills and big data techniques with strong business acumen to build predictive models aimed at providing actionable solutions to some of the most pressing and high-value business problems we face. You will actively engage and influence the business with your models and algorithms as well as consult on implementation of new strategies.
Essential Job Functions The incumbent must be able to perform all of the following duties and responsibilities with or without a reasonable accommodation.
- Develop and implement behavioral and predictive models that drive customer value and achieve strategic business objectives in supply chain (machine learning, linear & logistic regression, clustering and statistical sampling, A/B testing and text mining).
- Apply qualitative and quantitative methods of forecasting to a wide range of datasets to drive pull-processes and budget planning for the supply chain
- Use numerical methods of optimization (linear and integer programming) to build and modify mathematical models to design a holistic, strategic and quantitative view of the end-to-end supply chain.
- Collaborate with internal data science teams by providing direction on how to best utilize more advanced techniques and machine learning to achieve strategic objectives and business goals within the organization
- Create compelling data visualizations and develop new performance metrics to quantify the value of corporate initiatives and highlight trends in consumer behavior and key volume indicators in supply chain.
- Present findings to executive leadership by effectively translating complex data and methodologies into clear insights, opportunities, and tangible business actions.
- Display deep intellectual curiosity, creativity, and commitment to learning in order to solve critical business problems and push the boundary of our capabilities.
- Influence the overall supply chain strategy and usher new tools to the internal team’s toolkit
Supervisory Responsibility: No direct reports. Incumbent will collaborate and lead cross-functional business projects.
Work Environment: The majority of job duties are conducted while seated indoors at a computer terminal with little or no exposure to hazards. Occasional travel may be required for presentations, training, and convention.
- Master’s Degree or PhD. in Data Science preferred, in Math, Statistics, Supply Chain/Logistics, Industrial Engineering, or related; Bachelor’s Degree minimum.
- 3+ years experience applying data mining techniques to real business problems
- Experience with applying advanced analytical techniques using optimization.
- Working knowledge of optimization tools (JDA Strategist or LLamasoft) preferred.
- Expertise in one or more of R, Python, SAS; deep understanding of Machine Learning and Data Mining techniques.
- Experience with manipulating large data sets across disparate sources (SQL, Alteryx, Snowflake).
- Experience performing data visualizations (Tableau, MicroStrategy).
- Experience with customer-level demographic and transactional data required. Experience within retail industry preferred.
- Proven ability to deploy new analytical data manipulation techniques and ability to think conceptually and creatively about problems and solutions.
- Strong interpersonal communication, verbal and written, due to the nature and level of interaction with executive leadership.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize workload and ability to manage multiple projects while meeting deadlines.
Petco Animal Supplies, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or any other protected classification.
- Address San Diego, CA