Junior Natural Language Processing Engineer
Embodied, Inc.’s mission is to build socially and emotionally intelligent animate companions with believable personality and empathy to enhance our daily lives. We have developed a new platform, SocialXTM, that provides a way to use natural human interaction to engage with technology. The first iteration of this technology is Moxie, an animate companion for children developed to help promote social, emotional and cognitive learning. Moxie has been called “the robot pal you dreamed of as a kid” (Wired Magazine), “the sophisticated robot for the curious child” (Wallpaper Magazine), and “a technically impressive childhood robot” (TechCrunch). You can learn all about Moxie and see how it works: www.embodied.com
From the heart of Pasadena in sunny Los Angeles, California, our diverse team of engineers, therapists, and designers is led by experts in robotics, AI and machine learning, entertainment, and consumer electronics. We are financially backed by some of the most prominent corporate and institutional investors including Intel Capital, Toyota AI Ventures, Amazon Alexa Fund, Sony Innovation Fund, JAZZ Venture Partners, Calibrate Ventures, Osage University Partners, Grishin Robotics, and Vulcan Capital.
At Embodied, we support diversity and we are an equal opportunity workplace. We offer a competitive benefits package that includes compensation, health benefits, employee stock options, 401(k) match, flexible PTO, and flexible schedules. We are a dynamic and diverse team that likes to push the status quo. Our work environment is collaborative, flexible, and very supportive of work-life balance.
We are continuing to build an amazing, high-performance team that works hard to innovate, collaborate, and solve complex challenges in order to serve our company mission and goals. We are bold in our vision, relentless in its pursuit, and excited to be discovering new ways to provide positive impact to the families we serve. We are committed to our mission not because it’s easy but out of a shared boundless optimism that together we will put a dent in the universe.
Contribute to human-robot interactions and conversational AI like you have never experienced before. Embodied is looking to add a talented and creative Junior Software Engineer, Conversational AI Developer or Natural Language Processing Engineer to our growing technical team.
- Design and implement state-of-the-art conversational AI systems to enable organic, emotionally responsive conversations
- Push the envelope on current conversational AI technology and develop new capabilities for our interactive robot platform
- Develop and evaluate dialog management solutions, identify errors/regressions, and propose solutions to complex conversational problems
- Work collaboratively with:
- A team of top machine learning and AI experts to improve and personalize user perception and experience
- Domain experts to implement interactive and conversational features and behaviors
- Creative team of writers, UX designers, and animators to develop engaging multimodal content
Have fun & learn while working at a startup with a great team and an incredible mission!
- Bachelor’s Degree (or equivalent) in Linguistics, Computational Linguistics, or similar.
- Experience working with conversational systems designed for voice driven interactivity
- Experience developing and building upon existing chatbot frameworks (e.g., Chatscript, Rasa, HuggingFace), familiarity with intent-based, and flow-based chatbots.
- Experience in leveraging software for text processing and representation (e.g., NLTK, gensim, OpenNLP, CoreNLP, etc.)
- Programming experience in C++, C#, Java, or Python; comfortable with both object-oriented and procedural programming
- Excellent communication skills to effectively collaborate with an interdisciplinary team
- 3+ years of professional experience building robust conversational AI or dialog management systems from scratch to scale
- Masters or PhD in Computational Linguistics or equivalent professional experience
- Experience and interest in machine learning techniques applied to dialog management and natural language understanding problems, such as entity extraction and linking, semantic parsing, and conversation analysis
- Experience developing conversational AI solutions for IoT devices
- Experience working with mobile platforms (Android/iOS), embedded systems (e.g. Raspberry Pi), and/or robots
- A love of developing and playing text and dialog-based games like Zork, Façade, and Torment Series
Embodied is creating robots to help make the world a better place. Come join us to make an impact!
Discover More AI Jobs:
- Address Pasadena, California