Junior Software Engineer
About the job
POSITION NAME: Junior Software Engineer
LOCATION: Charlottesville, VA, Chicago, IL, New York, NY or remote
We are seeking a highly motivated, enthusiastic, driven and technically proficient software engineer to help develop innovative applications. You will expand upon your current skill set through cross-disciplinary collaboration with some of the smartest and nicest people in the industry, while learning the inner workings of a fast-paced digital marketing agency. You will work closely with a team of developers in an agile software development environment to expand our cloud based cutting edge data insight and marketing solutions that conquer the big-data problem space.
- You love coding.
- You love problem solving.
- You constantly research and stay on top of the latest technologies & frameworks.
- You’re excited by the idea of utilizing bleeding edge technologies to create unique solutions to solve problems.
- You play well with others and have well-developed communications skills.
- You enjoy collaborating with others to plan, design, & implement solutions.
- You embrace agile methodologies and modern software development best practices.
- You attack problems in a fearless, pragmatic and iterative fashion.
- You are interested in working with big data and dynamically scalable systems.
- You see the advantages to developing and hosting systems in cloud platforms such as AWS.
- Drive innovation by collaborating with fellow developers and end users to rapidly produce critical features.
- Follow Agile principles to continuously deliver increment value to our products within expected time frames.
- Participate in the full software development life cycle from requirement gathering to application release.
- Collaborate with architects and senior developers to design & implement technical solutions utilizing the latest technologies.
- Advance our applications to a next-generation suite using Java/Python & Big Data technologies
- Follow development best practices such as test-driven development, continuous integration, continuous delivery, and version control branching strategies.
- Contribute to a collaborative, positive, and enjoyable environment for your development team.
- BS or MS degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or related field
- Engineering or development background, 1+ years’ work experience, passion to code
- A desire to be challenged, solve problems and stay on top of the latest technologies and frameworks
- Good communication skills and the ability to work in a rapidly changing business environment
- Proficient with object oriented and functional programming principles
- Knowledge of Java, Python and SQL
- Familiar with Algorithms and Data structures
- Understand code reusability, security and performance concerns
- Expertise with JVM based environments and garbage collection
- Knowledge of RESTful API
- Experience with AWS services such as EC2, S3, DynamoDB, SQS
- Familiar with Test Driven Development
- Understanding of MapReduce principles
- Comfortable working in Unix/Linux environments and with command-line tools
At Merkle, we believe that a diverse environment improves us as a community and as a business. We want to foster an environment of growth, where all ideas and contributions are encouraged. We need this culture of courage to continue to thrive in our fast-paced industry. We embrace differences of opinion. We value diversity of experience and thought, which help us to challenge and define industry-leading solutions, and also support our goal of being a great place to work.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Discover More AI Jobs:
- Address Charlottesville, VA