Machine Learning Engineer
Are you a problem solver? A creative thinker who asks questions others don’t think of? Are you interested in bringing together data and algorithms in a real time environment to grow Groupon’s business? The Data Science team at Groupon owns the heart of our decision making system that provides value to the millions of merchants and customers that use our platforms on a daily basis. We use industry standard data technologies, data science methods, and machine learned models to build solutions that tune an inventory of merchant-provided goods and services to our customers’ needs. For each merchant we provide direction on how to compete successfully in their unique local marketplace. For each customer, Groupon leverages real-time matching algorithms to personalize deals for businesses in their local area. We use the tremendous level of daily traffic on our site and mobile apps to identify patterns and understand the evolving needs of our customers and merchants. Groupon constantly monitors the performance of our models and algorithms to improve predictive accuracy while staying accountable to the fundamentals of our business.
Data Science is a quickly evolving discipline and Groupon is committed to ensure that our Data Scientists use modern, career building tools that keep pace with the rest of the industry.
Your role as a machine learning engineer will be to understand the behavior of our customers and merchants and translate that understanding into actionable insights that impact our real-time revenue and user experience. Groupon’s applied data scientists are also expected to have expertise and continued interest in building and maintaining low latency distributed systems providing real-time inference. Team members are highly collaborative, have an authentic passion for trying new algorithms, a willingness to experiment, and a drive to execute.
Groupon’s purpose is to build strong communities through thriving small businesses. Groupon aims to be THE daily habit in local commerce. We connect people to quality merchants in a vibrant, global marketplace of local services and experiences. In the process, we’re positively impacting the lives of millions of customers and merchants globally. Even with thousands of employees spread across multiple continents, we still maintain a culture that inspires innovation, rewards risk-taking and celebrates success. If you want to make a difference, and be recognized for your insight and contribution, we are the team for you.
You’ll Spend Your Time On The Following
- Develop and maintain algorithms, data pipelines, automated processes, and services to create a data science backed solution that meets a business need for improving our customer or merchant platforms
- Build machine-learned models in areas such as user segmentation, traffic change detection, personalized recommendations, conversion rate prediction of visiting customers, or time-series demand forecasting
- Work with product and business teams to identify questions and issues for data analysis and experimentation
- Design and develop processes and systems which consolidate, analyze and generate actionable insights from diverse data sources
- Effectively communicate meaningful insights to partners across Groupon
We’re Excited About You If You Have
- 5-7 years work experience as a data scientist or a systems engineer
- A BS or MS degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Economics or similar quantitative field, with an emphasis on predictive analytics, data mining, statistics, linear algebra, machine learning, and/or algorithms (comparable industry experience may be substituted for this requirement)
- An understanding of applied mathematics in areas such as probability and statistics, linear algebra, basic optimization techniques, etc.
- Hands-on experience with predictive analytics tools and machine learning techniques/algorithms
- Experience deploying models into low latency, high throughput, real time inference systems
- Experience with Java and/or Scala
- Experience with search engines: Elastic, SOLR, Lucene, et. al
- Experience with Neural Networks / Deep Learning a plus
- Experience with AWS services and Sagemaker a plus
- Experience with data management technologies like Hadoop, Hive, Snowflake, etc.
- Experience with Spark a plus
- Self-driven problem solving skills and can identify problems unilaterally, but still bring back to the team
- Experience defining and analyzing multivariate tests
Groupon’s purpose is to build strong communities through thriving small businesses. To learn more about the world’s largest local ecommerce marketplace, click here for the latest Groupon news. Plus, be sure to check out the values that shape our culture, guide our strategy and make our company a great place to work. And just don’t take our word for it. Hear from real Groupon team members and learn more about our inclusive employee groups. If all of this sounds like something that’s a great fit for you, then click apply and let’s see where this takes us.
Groupon is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Qualifications for employment, promotion, and other terms and conditions of employment are based upon the ability to perform the job. Equal-employment opportunities are provided to all applicants and employees without regard to race, creed, religion, color, age, national origin, sex, disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, ancestry, marital status, military discharge status (excluding dishonorable discharge), veteran status, citizenship status, or other legally protected status. We are all responsible for maintaining this policy. Groupon is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may email us at hraccommodations at groupon.com. If you have concerns related to Groupon’s equal employment opportunities, you may contact Groupon’s Ethics Reporting Service Ethicspoint.
Discover More AI Jobs:
- Address Chicago, IL