Machine Learning Engineer
At Convex, data is not an incidental byproduct of our app. The data team is not a support function or an experimental lab. Data is the star of our app, and the data team is at the heart of our business.
Our product, Atlas, provides rich data on virtually every commercial property in the country (and all of the workflow software built on top of that to make it useful). Think Redfin for every commercial property, with Salesforce functionality to organize and track your work. For our users who serve these properties, this data and workflow becomes their secret weapon; there’s nothing else like it available in the market today.
Our market is under the radar, but massive and ubiquitous commercial services industry. Our customers are responsible for the air we breathe, the water we drink, and the lighting, safety, security, and dozens of other privileges that we are incredibly fortunate to take for granted in buildings across all of America.
We are based in, and love, the seven square miles of San Francisco, but our customers live and work in almost every state in America. They include some of the largest enterprises in the country, like Siemens and Carrier, and smaller businesses we care just as deeply about.
The Data Opportunity
Because data is core to our product, your role is central to our entire business. Your data features in the product frequently close massive deals and drive best-in-class retention. Every customer experiences your improvements, in prod, immediately – this is not an internal BI role.
From an engineering perspective, every commercial property means massive data sets – and demanding performance and architecture requirements for your features to be put through. Geospatial data often requires GIS techniques to wrangle datasets – something different than the average SQL join. Data on virtually every commercial property in the US means a chance to see the country by way of satellite imagery, property boundaries, and several hundred other data elements we have already developed.
This position is first and foremost a machine learning position. We are looking for an exceptional engineer who can:
– Contribute to the design, development, and operation of a machine learning discipline
– Comfortably discuss their strategies and tradeoffs in general business settings
– Build and own robust microservices that can process millions of properties
– Define API specifications for your services and how to integrate with other Convex services and systems
– Contribute to our labeling operations, including, strategy, training, and QA
– Build internal tools that support machine learning experimentation
– Write high-quality, clean code that is production-grade
– Most importantly, ship
But this is also a startup and everyone at all levels gets their hands dirty. The best candidate for this role is also excited for an opportunity to roll up their sleeves and be engaged on:
– Data science matters (for example, contributing to business requests from the customer success team or sales team, including providing self-serve resources)
– Data engineering matters (for example, contributing to data pipeline architecture and strategizing about how to move our data more efficiently)
– Data acquisition (for example, evaluating data acquisition opportunities and monitoring existing data streams)
For the right candidate, this will be the best job you have ever had (it has been for many of us). You will love this job if:
– You want to be working in the heart of a business and shipping product on fast-paced timelines
– You enjoy articulating (and debating) engineering tradeoffs to a business audience to figure out how to ship the right product, on schedule
– You are motivated by improving an ML discipline from end to end; from labeling tooling, strategy, and training, through business logic and tradeoffs, to maintaining production grade endpoints
– You like huge amounts of clean data… but also don’t mind rolling up your sleeves to sort out the dirty bits
At Convex (YC W19), we’re building the leading B2B full-stack software platform for the $400bn+ commercial services market. It’s a 100-year-old industry impacting millions of people every day. We already work with some of the largest enterprise companies in the sector and were one of the fastest growing companies in the Winter 2019 YC batch. Our team is a unique mix of industry veterans from Carrier, Siemens, and Honeywell as well as founders from MIT, Harvard, and Georgia Tech. Based in San Francisco, our investors include Emergence Capital, 1984 Ventures, UP2398, Liquid2 (Joe Montana), YCombinator, the founders of PlanGrid, and others.
– Join an early stage company with a lot of momentum, lead by a top tier leadership team and backed by top tier investors
– Competitive salary and generous equity
– Medical and dental insurance
– Commuter benefits
– Generous parental leave policy
– Company outings & team retreats
– Dog-friendly, renovated office in South Park with Bay views
Discover More AI Jobs:
- Address San Francisco