Machine Learning Engineer
By leveraging Upstart’s AI platform, Upstart-powered banks can have higher approval rates and lower loss rates, while simultaneously delivering the exceptional digital-first lending experience their customers demand. Upstart’s patent-pending platform is the first to receive a no-action letter from the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau related to fair lending. Upstart is based in San Mateo, California and Columbus, Ohio.
Most Upstarters join us because they connect with our mission of enabling access to effortless credit based on true risk. If you are energized by the impact you can make at Upstart, we’d love to hear from you!
Upstart’s Machine Learning team has a direct impact on our company’s success. The team consists of generalist as well as specialist Research Scientists and Data Scientists as well as Machine Learning Engineers.
Because our challenges are so new, members of our data science team need strong creative problem-solving skills and the technical background to implement solutions. Our research environment affords team members the opportunity to utilize a variety of statistical and machine learning methods with the freedom and encouragement to pursue alternative approaches to solving problems. Whether developing new products or identifying novel approaches to core models, we are continuously seeking the next big ideas to move our business forward.
As a Machine Learning Engineer with Upstart, you’ll enjoy a fast-paced environment with a focus on productionalizing, deploying and training machine learning models. You’ll also have an opportunity to work alongside a talented team that values curiosity, humility, drive and teamwork.
What We’re Looking For
- 2+ years of professional experience as a data scientist or software engineer
- Experience productionalizing, deploying, and training machine learning models (we use Python and sklearn, but experience in any language is valuable)
- Interest in helping other data scientists improve code quality in addition to conducting independent analyses
- Experience optimizing models for memory and speed
- Knowledge of machine learning and statistics or a strong desire to learn
- Advanced degree in computer science, mathematics, statistics or related area of study
What You’ll Love
- Competitive compensation (base + bonus & equity)
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Personal development and technology & ergonomic budgets
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Clubs and Activities (game nights, Fitstarters, Superwomen, book club, investing club, money discussions, photography club and basketball teams)
- Generous vacation policy
- 401(k) retirement plan
- Catered lunches + snacks & drinks
Upstart is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer. We are dedicated to ensuring that underrepresented classes receive better access to affordable credit, and are just as committed to embracing diversity and inclusion in our hiring practices. We celebrate all cultures, backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences, and know that we can only become better together.
- Address San Mateo, CA