Machine Learning Scientist
About the job
Amazon is looking for passionate Applied Scientists and Computational Linguists with expertise in Machine Translation to help us expand our MT and NLP technology.
Our mission is to enable a superior experience for all of Amazon’s customers in their native language by developing and deploying state-of-the art technology and applications in Machine Translation (MT), Natural Language Processing (NLP) and Machine Learning (ML). The global scale of Amazon means true big data problems, big data opportunities, and building for global customers. Machine Translation allows Amazon to reach people in their preferred language. We are a team tackling the tough language problems that general-purpose MT cannot solve.
As part of our MT research & development team, you will work on developing, deploying, maintaining and supporting our fleet of Machine Translation systems, particularly focused on Search. You will drive experimentation to develop new solutions in the MT space. Your work will directly impact millions of our customers in the form of products and services that make use of our MT and NLP technology. You will gain hands-on experience with Amazon’s heterogeneous language data sources and large-scale computing resources to accelerate advances in MT and NLP.
- Drive scientific exploration and innovation for MT improvements and evaluation techniques
- Train and evaluate neural MT models using Amazon’s proprietary MT technology
- Analyze the accuracy and performance of MT models
- Assist in deploying, maintaining, and supporting Amazon’s fleet of dedicated MT systems in production
- Design and implement software to collect, analyze and prepare large natural language data sets
- PhD or Masters in Computer Science, Computational Linguistics, Language Technologies, Linguistics
- Expertise in Machine Translation
- Software development skills in Python, Java, C++ or equivalent programming language
- Exceptional analytical, troubleshooting and problem solving skills
- Good written and spoken communication skills
- Experience using tools and systems for standard MT and NLP tasks, such as language modeling, named entity recognition, syntactic parsing, etc.
- Experience in development of large-scale NLP systems in a large industrial or government environment
- Formal or informal knowledge of linguistics and/or foreign languages
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit
Discover More AI Jobs:
- Address Pittsburgh, PA