Principal Software Engineer, Computer Vision
We are building the world’s most advanced self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving vehicles will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
At Cruise, our engineers have opportunities to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the cutting-edge of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there’s opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to solve one of today’s most complex engineering challenges, see the results of your work in hundreds of self-driving cars, and make a positive impact in the world starting in our cities, join us.
Cruise is looking for a Principal Software Engineer to act as the technical authority for all Computer Vision (CV) initiatives. This dedicated CV expert will work closely with our sensor hardware and detection software teams to deliver step change improvement in our CV capabilities, thereby enabling fleet domain expansion and the streamlining of our sensor and software architecture.
If this sounds interesting to you, let’s chat!
What You’ll Be Doing
- Setting the R&D agenda for the Cruise CV team
- Formulating problems that target Cruise’s top CV opportunities
- Guiding our CV research scientists and ML engineers as they propose, prototype, evaluate, and iterate solutions
- Leading the productizing and deploying of solutions to robot cars
- Working with hardware teams to guide sensor selection and sensor suite architecture in support of the CV stack, both for current and future vehicle generations.
- Recruiting top CV talent to Cruise
What You Should Have
- PhD in computer vision, machine learning or a related field with multiple research publications in top conferences or journals; alternatively 8+ years of industry experience solving CV problems which do not have readily-available solutions
- Expertise in more than one of these areas: 2D/3D object detection, semantic / instance segmentation, fine-grained attribute understanding, human pose / gesture recognition, image sequence / semantics understanding, image embedding, visual/LIDAR-based tracking, multi-object tracking, and vision-based behavior prediction
- Track record of driving ML research projects from start to completion, including conception, problem definition, experimentation, iteration, and finally publication or productization
- Expertise using deep-learning frameworks, e.g., TensorFlow, PyTorch, etc
- Expertise in deploying perception algorithms and models into real-world environments
- Strong programming skills in Python and/or C++
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 401(k) Cruise matching program
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Commuter benefits
- We’re Integrated
- Through our partnerships with General Motors and Honda, we are the only self-driving company with fully integrated manufacturing at scale.
- We’re Funded
- GM, Honda, SoftBank, and T. Rowe Price have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- We’re Independent
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the bleeding-edge of technology, but also define it.
- We’re Vested
- You won’t just own your work here, you’ll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow.
- Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants for employment will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, genetics or any other legally protected basis. Below, you have the opportunity to share your preferred gender pronouns, gender, ethnicity, and veteran status with Cruise to help us identify areas of improvement in our hiring and recruitment processes. Completion of these questions is entirely voluntary. Any information you choose to provide will be kept confidential, and will not impact the hiring decision in any way.
We also consider for employment qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with applicable laws. And, if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.
Discover More AI Jobs:
- Address San Francisco, CA