When we launched the little white reader, we invented mobile, ubiquitous payments and enabled anyone to start, run, and grow a business. Ten years and billions of transactions later were reimagining commerce for businesses of all types and sizeswere enabling the independent electrician to send invoices, helping the beauty salon pay its employees, and giving the burgeoning coffee chain capital for a second, third, and fourth location. Were working to find new and better ways to help businesses succeed on their own termsand were looking for people like you to help shape tomorrow at Square.
The Conversations team formed in mid-2019 after the acquisition of Eloquent Labs, a conversational artificial intelligence (AI) services business founded by leading Natural Language Processing (NLP) researchers. At Square, the Conversations team is focused on helping small businesses communicate with their customers. In October 2019, the team launched Square Assistant, which is an AI-backed tool that allows customers to respond directly to SMS appointment reminders to confirm, cancel, or change their appointment.
As a Product Manager on the Conversations team, you will lead our efforts to make, define, and build tools that help small businesses communicate with the customers. Specifically, we are centralizing how small businesses communicate with their customers, by unifying the numerous touchpoints. We are also helping them automate and handle some of the conversational load. Figuring out exactly how we can help businesses and their customers interact is tricky, and thats where you come in!
Ideally, you are passionate about understanding a customers needs and pain points, and working with diverse partners to simplify the complex and ship elegant solutions. You will need to be comfortable with NLP and other AI applications and working directly with a team of passionate engineers, as well as strategic thinking and have methodical execution. The Conversations team is leading the way on NLP within Square, and through this role you will have an opportunity to help positively impact millions of small businesses around the world with how they communicate with their customers.
This role can be based in any of our full-time San Francisco Bay Area offices: Redwood City, San Francisco, or Oakland. Our preference is Redwood City, as that is where the team has their offices, but we believe the role can be successful from any of our SF Bay Area offices.
- Understand the communication-related Jobs to Be Done for small businesses.
- Synthesize those Jobs to Be Done into a coherent product roadmap.
- Define key product-related metrics, and utilize a data-driven approach in decision making.
- Report on and track progress toward deliverables to the team and stakeholders.
- Work cross-functionally with Customer Success, Sales, Eng, and Design.
- Help shape our product development process as we continue to grow.
- Strategically assess new opportunities and develop alignment around them.
- Develop innovative and industry-leading products across desktop and mobile.
- 5+ years of professional experience, with 3+ years working as a Product Manager.
- You have previously worked closely with a high-performing team of software engineers.
- Bonus: Professional experience in software engineering, or a CS degree.
- Double Bonus: Professional experience with ML / AI, or degree focusing on ML / AI.
- Customer Focused. Track record of channeling customer empathy into product execution.
- Track record of shipping simple, elegant customer-facing products.
- You have a data-driven learning style, and are comfortable reasoning about data.
- Strong spreadsheet skills to analyze and manipulate data. Bonus: SQL, Python, or R skills.
- A collaborative approach: Track record of delivering results with cross-functional teams.
- Entrepreneurial: You’re a self-starter with flexible skills, and comfortable with ambiguity.
- Youre passionate about using ML / AI to empower small businesses.
- Bonus: Youve worked at a rapidly growing startup, especially early stage.Data-Driven
At Square, our purpose is to empower within and outside of our walls. In order to build the best tools for the businesses and customers we support all over the world, we have to start at home with a workforce as diverse and empowered as our sellers. To this end, we take great care to evaluate all employees and job applicants equally, based on merit, competence, and qualifications. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply and always consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible. Perks At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes: Healthcare coverage, Retirement Plans, Employee Stock Purchase Program, Meal reimbursements, Wellness perks, Paid parental leave, Flexible time off, Learning and Development resources
- Address San Francisco, CA