Senior Data Scientist
We are looking for an experienced data scientist to help drive our modeling and data transformation efforts across all sparks & honey products.
As a Senior Data Scientist at sparks & honey, you’ll be balancing being your day-to-day work, collaborating with the larger dev team on product builds, and mentoring the team around you as you build the data and intelligence tools that help companies shape culture. You will work with data analysts, architects, engineers and developers to create the data handling rules and models for our growing portfolio of products and clients.
About Sparks & Honey
In 2012, we created a new agency based on the belief that cultural relevance is an important business driver. Six years later, we’ve expanded our NYC team to more than sixty individuals, and are rapidly growing our office in Los Angeles as well. We count some of the most important brands in diverse industries as our clients. Our leadership headlines industry events and contributes to academic think tanks, and our quarterly trend reports have been downloaded hundreds of thousands of times.
Who We Are
We’re a blend of types A and B, but all of us are type C—for Culture. We make change visible and visceral—melding the best of man and machine. Our mission is to open minds and create possibilities. We place a premium on curiosity, exploration, edge-dwelling, and encouraging one another to challenge conventions and produce new norms. We value collaboration, co-creation, and openness.
- Innate curiosity and keen interest in the intersection of data, research and product
- A balance of collaborative, creative exploration; and attention to detail
- You enjoy working in an intense, fast-paced, agile, anti-disciplinary environment
What You’ll Do
- Garnish and transform unstructured data to produce a new understanding of culture and business performance
- Establish new nomenclature and categorization schemes for ergodic data
- Define criteria, specifications and standards for the creation, storage and usage of operational and analytical data models
- Create measurement and evaluation frameworks, learning agendas, and test/experiment designs
- Build models; selecting appropriate variables, adjusting variable weights, testing, and readying your performant codebase for production implementation
- Evolve existing data models, including the functions and entities within those functions to support emerging business needs
- Establish and enforce the means to monitor and communicate the meaning of data on ongoing basis for internal team and clients
- Support the overall master data governance process
- Ensure strong collaboration with business teams on all projects from requirements gathering to client work executions
Who You Are/Experience Requirements
- A data scientist with 4-6+ years of experience in data science roles
- The possessor of a background in social or behavioral science is always a plus
- Someone with a strong background in statistics, including:
- Experiment design, especially with non-linear and confounding variables
- Previous implementation of floating point macros a plus
- A person with excellent forecasting and modeling chops (required), especially:
- Marketing mix model variants
- Bayesian and stochastic forecasting models
- Propensity modeling & propensity scoring
- Someone with 3+ years of significant experience working with complex unstructured and semi-structured data, and an excellent understanding of relational database concepts and performant system design, as well as experience extracting insights from large data sets using advanced Python
- A producer of production ready code
- A human used to working with BI tools for data visualization like Tableau, D3, Kibana
- Happy to explore public speaking, presenting data and leading training sessions
- Experienced in managing your own projects, vendor and client relationships, and supervising individuals
Work Samples Or Case Studies Will Be Required
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and committed to leveraging the diverse backgrounds, perspectives and experience of our workforce to create opportunities for our colleagues and our business. We do not discriminate in employment decisions on the basis of any protected category.
- Address New York City, NY