Senior Data Scientist
Our Fortune 500 company is driving a digital transformation and looking for forward-thinking innovators to disrupt how our industry thinks about and uses technology. As one of the world’s leading employee benefits providers, we help millions of people gain affordable access to benefits that help them protect their families, their finances and their futures.
Are you an asker of questions, a solver of problems, and a challenger of the status quo? Our mission is to provide a differentiated customer experience and exceed the expectations people have of technology at any company — not just insurers.
We are seeking individuals to join our team of talented IT professionals who share never-ending passion and an unwavering focus on our customer experience. Team members comfortable working in an agile, fast-paced, and delivery-focused environment thrive in our environment where we value an entrepreneurial spirit and those who challenge the status-quo.
Unum is changing, and we’re excited about what’s next. Join us.
Unum Group is seeking a Senior Data Scientist to join our AI and Analytics team focusing on NLP models and Conversational AI. Our Enterprise Data and Insights group – and specifically, our Analytics and AI team – at Unum designs, builds, deploys, and maintains state-of-the-art predictive analytics, NLU/NLG models, machine/deep learning solutions, and conversation AI services – across our enterprise for the various insurance domain needs. We work closely with our customers, business partners, and cross-functional teams to bring rapid value, insights, and scaled innovation to life.
The ideal candidate will have a strong background and prior experience as an experienced data scientist working on NLP, machine & deep learning, and the ability to work in a hybrid product-custom solution environment. Strong technical and cloud skills, and prior experience working with chat bots, voice bots, omni-channel contact centers, and working with un-/semi-/ and structured data are essential.
What You Bring To The Table
- You have an advanced degree in Math/Statistics, Machine/Deep Learning, Engineering, Physics, Computer Science, or equivalent practical experience
- 5+ years of experience solving analytical problems using quantitative approaches and working experience with AI-ML platforms and solutions
- Solid understanding of statistics and prior experience with building conversation AI solutions
- Expertise in SQL and Python, and experience with AWS
- Enthusiastic about innovating in a fast-paced data and analytics environment
- Comfortable with agile methodologies, ambiguity and ability to collaborate effectively in a multi-site, global analytics & AI team
- Experience communicating the results of your work with your manager, customers, product and leadership teams to influence the direction and roadmap of our solutions
What You Will Do
- Be an expert data scientist and lead/solve business and technical problems with NLP (NLU + NLG) and advanced analytics
- Create custom models, integrate with on-premise and cloud AI-ML products, and identify new levers to create models, improve model performance, and user experience
- Apply your strong technical & analysis skills to gain deep insights from chat bot and call center data and operational systems
- Influence the roadmap and decisions made by the AI-ML & data science team through presentation of data-driven insights, recommendations, and clearly communicate the state of the NLP efforts and experiment/solution results to leadership, peers, and internal/external stakeholders
- Proactively iterate on NLP models with newest algorithms & approaches, address model drift and solution maintenance, and enable bi-directional API-based (or other) integrations
- Be self-directed when appropriate and be an effective collaborator/communicator
Our company is built on helping individuals and families, and this starts with our employees. We want employees to maintain a positive balance, which is why we provide access to the benefits and resources they need to invest in themselves. From our onsite fitness facilities and generous paid time off to employee professional development programs, we are committed to helping employees live and work their best – both inside and outside the office.
Unum is an equal opportunity employer, considering all qualified applicants and employees for hiring, placement, and advancement, without regard to a person’s race, color, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or protected veteran status.
Discover More AI Jobs:
- Address Portland, ME