Software / Data Engineer
About the job
CarbonPlan is a non-profit using data and science for climate action.
Our mission is to ensure the quality, scientific integrity, and transparency of climate solutions. Our interdisciplinary team develops timely, policy-relevant research and data products aimed at accelerating the deployment of effective climate solutions. We work across a range of domains — forests, soil, air capture, mineralization, energy, and more. We communicate our results via interactive web tools and articles, working directly with decision makers across the public and private sector to help them achieve ambitious climate goals. CarbonPlan’s Technology team sits at the center of our work, building open science platforms to bridge our scientific research and policy engagement. You can read more about our work on our website.
As the first Software / Data engineer on our Technology team, you will contribute to CarbonPlan’s core technical and scientific activities, filling a hybrid role that includes data engineering, open source software development, data analysis, and machine learning. We use and contribute to open source software, and we build data products and visualizations for broad audiences. If you’re excited about being part of a small and scrappy team tackling big climate problems, please apply!
- Build out CarbonPlan’s open data systems to support a wide range of research activities
- Design and build open source analysis tools by contributing to existing projects and developing new ones
- Learn about climate science and carbon removal
- Interact closely with CarbonPlan’s entire team, particularly our team of research and data scientists
You should have
- Passion for our mission, open source software, and open data
- 2-4+ years experience with scientific Python
- 1-3+ years experience with geoscientific data (e.g. geospatial data, remote sensing, images, time series, etc.)
- 1-3+ years experience with open source software development, version control, continuous integration, etc.
- A portfolio of your work (e.g. open source code, websites, papers, etc.)
You’ll be an especially good fit if you have
- Data analytics experience using Python, Pandas, Xarray, Dask and Zarr
- Cloud computing experience using Kubernetes and object-store-based data systems
- Machine Learning experience using frameworks such as Scikit-Learn, PyTorch, and/or TensorFlow
- Geospatial data visualization experience
- Experience managing large collections of geospatial data using catalog tools like STAC, Intake, THREDDS
- Background in one or more relevant domains (ecology, material science, biogeochemistry, energy technologies or systems, climate science, climate policy, social justice)
You should include in your application
- A link to your portfolio (GitHub, website, etc.).
- Your CV or a link to your LinkedIn profile
- A paragraph on why you are excited about CarbonPlan and this role
CarbonPlan is an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to building an inclusive and diverse workplace. Addressing climate change requires confronting systems that create inequity and injustice, and doing so will require a team with culturally diverse perspectives. All qualified applications — regardless of race, color, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation, sexual identity, national or ethnic origin, disability, marital status, veteran status, and any other occupationally irrelevant criteria — will receive full consideration. We especially encourage applications from individuals from underrepresented groups in science, technology, and environmental organizations.
We are committed to providing competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits to our full-time employees. We offer fixed salary levels based on experience and role to minimize biases in compensation and to ensure team members are paid the same for doing the same work. We expect this to be a full-time position with an annual salary of $90,000 USD based on the experience required for the role.
We are based primarily in San Francisco, but currently work remotely. The hiring manager for this role is in Seattle. Remote work from any location on Pacific or Mountain Time works for us! We are not currently able to sponsor a visa for this position, and therefore can only consider applications from people who are already authorized to work in the United States.
Discover More AI Jobs:
- Address San Francisco, CA