About the job
Synacor is looking for a talented and versatile web developer to join our advertising technology team. This role is focused on the development of our front-end advertising platform, creating capabilities to support and manage our growing digital advertising business across a large variety of high-volume premium publishers. The work primarily involves client-side web development with an emphasis on rapid prototyping of new ideas, quick response to market demand, and building reusable components that are responsive and easily customizable.
The Search and Advertising team at Synacor is responsible for building cutting-edge advertising solutions that deliver billions of monthly ad impressions across multiple platforms to thousands of customer sites. The nature of our business requires constant adaptation and quick time-to-market, so we embrace agile methods, an iterative development process, and rapid deployment of finished work. Our engineers are seasoned Scrum practitioners, working with our User Experience and Product Management counterparts to quickly and consistently turn great ideas into exceptional products. We highly value experimentation, continuous improvement, collaboration, and software best practices.
A particularly strong candidate will also have experience working with Hadoop and Map Reduce, or with developing back-end Java or Scala services. These skillsets are secondary for the role, but the team has a full-stack domain, and we like to train our engineers to develop across several of our systems.
Duties And Responsibilities
- Cultivate knowledge of online ad industry concepts and terminology.
- Support the deployment and operation of ad products for Synacor’s publisher network.
Education, Experience, And Skills
- BSCS/BSEE or equivalent and two years or more of experience in a developer role preferred. Demonstrated experience and talent for software development matter.
- Strong fundamentals in computer science and Web software design.
- Working knowledge of Linux and Bash scripting.
- Familiarity with back-end Web development. Our team uses Java, Scala, Node.js, Express, MySQL, and PostgreSQL/Redshift across various products so experience with one or more is preferred.
- While the primary focus for the role is on the front end, exceptional candidates would have the ability to work on back end development in one or more of the following: Scala, Kafka, Akka, Camus, Hadoop and Map Reduce.
- Web-oriented graphic design experience is very desirable.
- Eagerness to learn new concepts and technologies and to apply them immediately.
- Excellent problem solving and independent study skills.
- Desire to work in a high-performance team, to learn from your peers, and to share your own knowledge.
- Address Buffalo, NY