Software Engineer – Backend
Nextdoor is the neighborhood hub for trusted connections and the exchange of helpful information, goods, and services.
Building connections in the real world is a universal human need. That truth, and the reality that neighborhoods are one of the most important and useful communities in our lives have been guiding principles for Nextdoor. Today, neighbors rely on Nextdoor in neighborhoods around the world in the United States, the United Kingdom, Germany, France, the Netherlands, Italy, Spain, Sweden, Denmark, Australia and Canada, with many more to come.
Meet your Future Neighbors
At Nextdoor, we believe in the transformative power of community. You will be joining a team that is responsible for the premium experience that we offer to local businesses. Certain businesses, such as real estate agents and local “experts” in their field want a solution that allows them to build their brand awareness within their local communities and establish themselves as the person to talk to in their field. We achieved this by building a sponsorship product, and a more specific product around real estate, including listings, open houses, and a searchable map.
And of course, you will be working with other fantastic engineers, product managers, designers, data scientists, etc. You will have the opportunity to learn from your co-workers and teach them. As a team, we will make each other better and build great software.
The Impact You’ll Make
Local Experts are a major focus for Nextdoor in 2020 and beyond. As the neighborhood hub, we have a unique opportunity to foster meaningful connections between neighbors and the local businesses they love. Nextdoor will be the place that businesses introduce themselves, advertise special deals and events, and tell their story to their communities.
As part of this team, you will play a crucial role in defining, architecting, and building the systems and features that enable local businesses to join and participate in their Nextdoor communities. You will also be laying the groundwork for a huge part of Nextdoor’s business model in the coming years.
In addition to writing code, you’ll have the opportunity to help define the features that we build, through collaboration internally, and in some cases, talking to our customers and members to understand how we can better serve them.
Day-to-day You Should Expect To Be Doing The Following
- Backend development in a variety of languages/frameworks including:
- Collaborating with product management and design to ensure we work on the right things in the right way.
- Working with other engineering teams in Toronto, San Francisco and beyond.
What You’ll Bring to The House
- 7+ years of experience as a Software Engineer and a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, or equivalent work experience.
- Strong coding abilities in at least one language. Python experience preferred.
- Experience building and deploying flexible backend systems at scale.
- Strong fundamental understanding of data structures and algorithms.
- Strong collaboration and communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable in a dynamic startup environment.
- Strong desire to learn about new technologies and systems.
At Nextdoor, we empower our employees to build stronger local communities. To create a platform where all feel welcome, we want our workforce to reflect the diversity of the customers we seek to serve. We encourage everyone interested in our purpose to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, or any other trait that unfairly targets a group of people. In accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we always consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Discover More AI Jobs:
- Address San Francisco, CA