Spark / Big Data Developer
The Data Consumption team of Decision Sciences and Transformation (DSaT) is seeking a highly motivated Spark / Big Data Developer to start or continue an IT career on the Big Data Platform project. Teaming up with architects, scrum masters, leads, managers and directors, you will work in an Agile environment to make the data on the Big Data Platform accessible for the needs of the organization through Atomic Models and Analytical Data Stores. In this role, you will coordinate with a variety of IT departments to elicit and translate high level business requirements into detailed system requirements. You will participate in the entire software development lifecycle by writing and executing test plans, finding solutions to issues during development and after deployment. You should be intellectually curious, have a solutions-oriented attitude and enjoy learning new tools and techniques.
- At least two years of experience with SQL and Java or Scala
- Experience with manipulating and transforming data
- Exposure to NoSQL databases, Spark and the Hadoop Ecosystem (MapReduce, Oozie, Hive, Pig)
- Strong critical thinking, decision making, and problem-solving skills
- Excellent verbal/written communication skills, including communicating technical issues to non-technical audiences
- Bachelor’s degree in a computer related field or equivalent professional experience required
- Experience in designing efficient and robust ETL/ELT workflows, schedulers, and event-based triggers
- Experience with Spark core and Spark SQL
- Experience as a Big Data Developer
- Exposure to Data Mining, Data Engineering and Data Modeling
- Exposure to Graph Databases
Note: The safety of our associates, both current and future, is GEICO’s highest priority. At this time, most of our associates are working remotely due to the current COVID-19 pandemic. Candidates who are selected for this position will be trained remotely and must be able to work from home in a designated work area. Once GEICO determines it is safe for associates to return to the office, candidates may be required to work in our Chevy Chase, MD office.
For more than 75 years, GEICO has stood out from the rest of the insurance industry! We are one of the nation’s largest and fastest-growing auto insurers thanks to our low rates, outstanding service and clever marketing. We’re an industry leader employing thousands of dedicated and hard-working associates. As a wholly owned subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway, we offer associates training and career advancement in a financially stable and rewarding workplace.
Our associates’ quality of life is important to us. Full-time GEICO associates are offered a comprehensive Total Rewards Program*, including:
- 401(k) and profit-sharing plans
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance
- Paid vacation, holidays and leave programs
- Tuition reimbursement
- Associate assistance program
- Flexible spending accounts
- Business casual dress
- Fitness and dining facilities (at most locations)
- Associate clubs and sports teams
- Volunteer opportunities
- GEICO Federal Credit Union
Benefit offerings for positions other than full-time may vary.
GEICO is an equal opportunity employer. GEICO conducts drug screens and background checks on applicants who accept employment offers.
Discover More AI Jobs:
- Address Chevy Chase, MD