Staff Data Scientist
Crunchyroll is the world’s most popular anime brand, connects anime and manga fans across 200+ countries and territories with 360-degree experiences. We’re an international business passionate about creating both online and offline experiences for fans through content (licensed, co-produced, originals, distribution), merchandise, events, gaming, news, and more. Visit our About Us pages for more information about our collection of brands and companies.
Location: San Francisco
Our headquarters is located in downtown San Francisco, where our group of cross-functional experts assemble to create experiences for Crunchyroll and VRV’s passionate communities.
Crunchyroll COVID-19 Hiring Status
Crunchyroll employees are currently working from home, and we are still conducting remote interviews and hiring during this time. This role is expected to start remotely, and we’ll work closely with you as we understand every person has unique circumstances.
About The Team
At Crunchyroll, our motto is simple – we champion the extraordinary by super-serving our super-fans. Say that 5 times fast! What better way to do so than by helping our millions of fans across the globe discover their next favorite show?
We are a humble team that takes on not-so-humble challenges. From supporting the reporting needs of a few partner teams way back in 2015, to building a widely used data platform that provides custom solutions to multiple downstream consumers today; our journey has been exciting, celebratory, and educational.
With our data platform, we now power reporting, personalization, analytics and other cross-functional integrations.
Join us in enhancing and building new personalization features for each of our millions of fans.
Our values as a team – we love opensource, encourage collaboration, value opinions, and foster continuous learning.
P.S. Check out this recent article for a peek into how we evolved our personalization efforts to get to where we are today.
- Foundational computer science background
- Basic knowledge of Data Engineering and Database technologies
- 4+ years Statistics, Data Science, or Machine Learning background
- 4+ years of experience in at least one programming language, preferably Python
- 3+ years of experience with Spark
- Experience building highly scalable, distributed systems
- Detailed understanding of software architecture, object-oriented design, and design patterns
- Experienced in conducting experimentation (A/B testing)
- Solid understanding of public cloud tools, preferably AWS, and conceptual familiarity of associated cloud resources (S3, EC2, RDS)
- Comfortable with complex SQL querying and large datasets
- Familiarity with RESTful APIs
- Familiarity working with UNIX systems
- Familiarity/experience in building recommender systems
- Master’s Degree in computer science or equivalent experience
A day in the life of our Staff Data Scientist:
- Assess our current Data Science and ML capabilities and define & drive the execution of a world-class multi-year roadmap that impacts both our top line and bottom line. You will work closely with product and engineering leads in this effort.
- Responsible for owning and improving Crunchyroll’s personalization algorithms and associated infrastructure
- Alongside infrastructure, improving the experimentation framework by building out a comprehensive A/B testing strategy
- Collaborate with Data Engineers in building a multi-functional feature repository
- Partner closely with Product teams in architecting, designing, and implementing features that scale.
Benefits and Perks: San Francisco Office
- Competitive salary
- “Use What You Need” time away from work policy
- Medical, dental, vision, STD, LTD, and life insurance
- Health care and dependent care FSA
- 401(k) plan with employer match
- Employer-paid commuter benefit
- On-site gym, showers, yoga, and wellness classes
- Support program for new parents
- Catered lunch 4 days per week
- Fun, passionate and skilled co-workers
- Pet insurance and dog-friendly office
Questions about Crunchyroll’s hiring process? Please check out our FAQ About Crunchyroll Crunchyroll, a WarnerMedia company (as a subsidiary of Otter Media) and the world’s most popular anime brand, connects anime and manga fans across 200+ countries and territories with 360-degree experiences.
Fans have access to the largest collection of licensed anime through Crunchyroll, Anime Digital Network (in partnership with Citel, a subsidiary of Média-Participations), and Anime on Demand video streaming services, translated in multiple languages for viewers worldwide. Viewers can also access simulcasts — top series available immediately after Japanese broadcast. Crunchyroll’s services also extend to licensing of theatrical, TV, home video, and consumer product rights.
Fans engage further with events (including owned events Crunchyroll Expo, Anime Awards, Crunchyroll Movie Nights, KAZÉ Movie Nights), consumer products through eCommerce and retail partners (Crunchyroll, KAZÉ, AV Visionen), Crunchyroll Games, KAZÉ Games, and manga (KAZÉ Manga, Crunchyroll Manga app, Crunchyroll Manga Store).
Crunchyroll was founded in 2006 and is headquartered in San Francisco, with offices in Los Angeles, Tokyo, Paris, Lausanne, Berlin (AV Visionen) and Chisinau (Ellation). VRV (U.S.) and Eye See Movies (Germany) are also Crunchyroll brands.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Crunchyroll. Pursuant to applicable law, we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Discover More AI Jobs:
- Address San Francisco, CA